Thursday, October 16, 2014

July


Collecting eggs...

Talking with the goats...

Feeding the pig...

Being greeted by the llama (he LOVED Sierra)

Picking beans with GG while Sissy is in Vacation Bible School

Silly hair day at VBS

Swinging with Grammy

Trying to get some family pics


Fun stuff



OOh pretty fireworks!

Until they start to make NOISE.

"This is not safe!"

Frolic Parade

First ripe tomato!

Craft time

Roasting marshmallows on the new fire pit



Sierra's birthday gift from Daddy


Happy birthday, sweet Girl!





What a busy month!  We spent four days feeding our neighbors animals and it was quite a task!  They have about 40 chickens, 10 rabbits, 6 goats, 2 pigs, and 8 llamas (including a brand new baby).   I will say that I will never have that many animals because they are a ton of work.  But the kiddos enjoyed helping and it was a neat experience for all of us.  

My sister came to visit for a few days at the first of the month and we loved having her!  The kids love her to pieces and I miss her lots, so I'm always glad when she comes for a visit.  Portland's not too far away, but a two plus hour drive with a two and almost five year old feels very LONG!  We've also enjoyed watching the garden grow this month!  Everything seems to be a tad early.  Unfortunately we did have a rain late and lost our crop of cherries for the second year in a row!  Such a bummer!  It must also be a year of rest for the plum trees because we have very few plums this year.  The grapes are still looking great though!

In preparation for school, I sent Sierra to Vacation Bible School for a week this month.  She was very exited about it and I was a nervous wreck.  In the car on the way to her first day she said, "Mommy are you leaving me with strangers?  You've never left me with strangers before!"  So I had to explain that they weren't really strangers but that yes, this was the first time she would be left with someone other than a family member.  After her question I was even more nervous about dropping her off but she headed in, got her name tag and took off without looking back.  I kind of just stood there awkwardly with Jaxon in my arms, wondering if I should laugh or cry.  I didn't even get a kiss goodbye!  Despite the crazy mix of emotions going on inside me, it really was a joy to see her confident and excited.  

The week went really well, but she was really exhausted when I picked her up.  It was only 3 hours long but it really wiped her out.  She is still taking naps most days which I'm trying to wean her off of because school is coming, but to be honest, I enjoy the down time and she still seems to need the rest.  One thing that broke my heart was after picking her up on the first day, she said, "Mommy, I did something really bad today.  I cut in line."  Then she kind of whimpered and said, "I don't even know what that means but it made a boy really mad at me."  We've practiced our ABC's and sharing and being kind, but the concept of having to go the end of the line was not something she's really experienced.  Obviously at the store we wait in line but she's never really been anywhere that she's needed to line up single file to do something.  So we talked about it, I told her it was not something she should feel terrible about but that next time she should just make sure to not walk in front of someone that is already standing in line.  I noticed for the rest of the week every time I picked her up she was always the very last one in line, making sure she didn't cut.  Sweet girl.

On the second to the last day there was a family BBQ night at VBS.  Most of the kids and their parents came.  There were probably about 100 kids and their parents, so well over 200 people.  Every age group did a presentation in front of everyone.  Sierra and another child were chosen from her group to speak in front of the crowd.  On the way, she didn't even seem nervous, she was just her chipper self.  She ended up doing GREAT!  She spoke clearly and Jesse and I were so proud.  She did tell us she got a little bit nervous when she got up there, but I was just so amazed!  She's so awesome.  Seriously.  I wish I could be more like her.

Speaking of amazing, Sierra turned 5 at the end of the month.  I'm not sure how it happened.  I've been fearful of this age for a while now - knowing that she would grow up and be big enough for school someday.  Big enough to be away from me and see some of the harsher realities of life.  Kindergarten is obviously mostly PG rated, but there are mean kids.  Kids that say bad words, and hurtful words, the worst kind of words.  I want Sierra to always be the sweet girl that walked up on stage a little nervous, but not worried about how she looked or spoke.  I want her continue to be confident and brave.  I'm so afraid that school is going to take that away from her.  I hope that it doesn't. I will try my hardest to keep that from happening, but alas, I am just a mama.

I sure am proud of my big five year old though.  It's amazing how five years can feel like forever and just a second all at the same time.  We still have one month before school starts.  I'm going to squeeze her extra tight, continue to stress nightly about the changes to come, and hope and pray that she loves school and learns to continue to love herself because I sure love her!  To heaven and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment