Thursday, October 12, 2017

November

Sierra May, 7 years old, 2nd Grade

Craft time!

I've been trying to figure out a way to get actual exercise time when Jaxon is with me

This was a success.  He rode his bike the whole way and I had to jog/speed walk to keep up!
I took very few pictures in November.  I'm not sure how that happened.  We were either very busy or did nothing noteworthy :) We've managed to stay fairly healthy so far this school year.  That is rare.  It does seem that December tends to be the month where the major cooties come into play.  Someone's been sick for Christmas for the last several years.  It would be nice if this year was different.

Sierra continues to love school and is really thriving this year.  Her teacher seems to be a really great fit for her and that helps so much.  She also has a few kids in her class that have been with her since Kinder, and that helps her feel more confident as well.  She still loves it when I volunteer and is sure that she will want me in her class until she graduates :)  We'll see how long that lasts.  When Jaxon starts school I will have to manage to find time to be in both classrooms.  It will be interesting to see if he enjoys having me there as much as Sierra has.  It's been so helpful as a parent to be in the classroom.  It helps me see how well Sierra is doing, what is being taught so I can help her at home if she needs it.  I get to know the other kids and some parents, and also get a good feel for the teacher's personality and teaching style

I've been having a really hard time lately worrying about Jaxon going to school.  Now that all day Kinder is a state mandate, I'm not sure how to get around it.  I'm really sad that 5 year olds have to sit in class all day.  They need time to be introduced into the school scenario and in my opinion should get to come home and play all afternoon.  They are 5!  First grade comes soon enough.  I realize I'm the odd woman out in this scenario, but I really don't want Jaxon to have to go all day.


I've thought a lot about keeping him home for Kindergarten and homeschooling.  But then I see first grade being a rough year.  Which is better?  My plans right now involve seeing if he can get into the charter school that's right down the road from us.  I'm hoping they would be more flexible if I do want to "home school" him in the afternoon.  But..... then I will have two children in two separate school districts.  This would mean different days off for the kids and Philomath doesn't send a bus out to our area and Muddy Creek doesn't have a bus service either, so getting the kids to and from school would be chaotic.  I can also try to get the Philomath Primary School principal to work with me.  Or I could bite the bullet and throw him into all day and hope he does okay.  And he might.  But if he doesn't..... I really don't want his first year to be a negative experience.  The Primary School in Philomath has went through many changes in the last couple of years.  All of the teachers that I had experience with when Sierra was a Kinder, have either changed jobs or started teaching different grades.  There's a new principal, and now first graders are at the school too.

I had PLENTY of worries when Sierra started school.  They were different worries, but it did consume me for a while.  Luckily the half day worked out, her teacher was SUPER, and she loved Kindergarten.  I guess I should have a little faith.  Right?   But for the last seven years I've spent every second loving, caring for, teaching, and worrying about my children.  And then I have to let go.  I have to let someone else teach them and care for them during the day.  Am I a control freak?  Is it normal to worry this much about school?  Am I the only one that spends hours at night wondering how they are going to handle Kindergarten?  As a Mama, I've memorized their little nuances and know when they need soft words and comfort.  I know when they aren't feeling good.  I know the way their little brains work.  Now I have to trust someone else to love them too.  I do have to acknowledge the fact that so far we've been blessed to have teachers for Sierra that do love her and look out for her.  These teachers are used to kiddos of every different skill, home life, and attitude.  They know what they are doing and they do a great job.  I'm trying really hard to let go.  I really am.  For right now, I'm going to try to soak up the moments I have at home with Jaxon and get him prepared for school life.  He's a social little creature and is sure to love it.  Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment